Proper Facilitation Skills enables teams and groups to be much more effective when they are led by a skilled facilitator who encourages participation whilst maintaining the focus and staying within time constraints. A competent facilitator can make review sessions, meetings and workshops more productive. A facilitator understands how to plan and prepare for group session and how to exercise the interpersonal skills that achieve best results. These skills can be used throughout the SDLC to create collaborative deliverables and to review their accuracy.
After completing this module the student will be able to:
- Plan and prepare for various types of facilitated sessions
- Understand the benefits of facilitated sessions
- Apply facilitation techniques:
- Listening Skills
- Questioning Skills
- Dealing with interruptions
- Dealing with negativity
- Dealing with shyness
- Understand how to apply the above techniques to one-on-one interviews.
- Define and understand the roles of those involved in the facilitation process
- Use various problem solving techniques including:
- Cause & Effect
- Drill Down
Estimated Study Timings
10 hours of study
1 hours of self-assessment
1 hours of Case Study
6 hours for the Assignment
- 12 months working experience either IT or business operations.
- Computer literacy.
A foundation into Facilitation Skills, which includes definitions and terminology, used for training and within the Facilitation Skills field.
Overview of Facilitation Session
Once of the success factors of the Facilitated session is ensuring that the correct stakeholders are invited and participate in the session
Most Business Analysts are structured in nature, therefore the material has been designed follow a structured method using the development of a theatre production as an analogy
Facilitation deal with people, therefore it is imperative that the facilitator is prepared for specific types of individuals
To ensure that each session objective is achieved, there are various methods that can be used to support its development. This section views some of the most popular.
The Facilitator’s Performance
Preparing yourself, prior to the facilitated session is as important preparing for the session content.
Contextualising the various types of facilitated session that can be used within a project.
Aspects of the facilitated session that the facilitator can control, to ensure the success
Various problem solving techniques that can be used within facilitated sessions.
IIBA BABOK alignment
BABOK KNOWLEDGE AREA
- Business Analysis Planning & Monitoring
- Task: Conduct Stakeholder Analysis
- Task: Prepare for Elicitation
- Task: Conduct Elicitation
- Task: Document Elicitation
- Task: Confirm Elicitation Results
- Requirements Analysis
- Task: Validate Requirements
- Focus Groups
- Requirements Workshops
- Root Cause Analysis
- Structured Walkthrough
- SWOT Analysis